Saturday, February 10, 2007

Ralph Waldo Emerson


Emerson was a transcendentalist. He and other intellectuals founded the Transcendental Club. Carlye gave him a copy of the Geetha. Influenced by it, he founded the Concord Movement.
His poem Brahma shocked the Western world. He sang the glory of the Absolute Self !
If the red slayer thinks he is slain
Or if the slain thinks he is slain
They know not the subtle ways
I keep, tread and pass again
Far and forgot to me is near
Sunlight and shadow are the same
The vanished gods to me appear
For one to me are shame and fame !
They reckon ill who leave me out
But when me they fly, I am the wings!
I am the doubter and the doubt
And I the hymn the Brahmin sings !

The strong gods pine for my abode
And pine in vain the Sacred Seven
And thou meek lover of the Good
Retrace and turn thy back on Heaven !

No comments: